2/24/14

at home | pictures from the past week

IMG_1416
IMG_1471
IMG_1431
IMG_1443
Spring is coming! Can you feel it? There's still a thick layer of snow on the ground here in Milwaukee, and this week's forecast is bleak-- I don't think we'll even reach 20 degrees in the next seven days-- but Spring is on its way, I just know it. There's still a smidge of sunlight left in the sky when Ryan comes home from work. Bunches of fresh asparagus have been $1.99 a pound at the grocery store for three weeks in a row. Gardening books have been ordered and are on their way to my front door right now, and I made a long list of flowers I hope to plant in the garden this summer. I'm taking great pleasure in filling the house up with tulips and finding pretty supplies to scrub things with, because when it comes to Spring cleaning, I'm on the same level with Danny Tanner. I can't help myself. I love Spring.

IMG_1527
IMG_1535
IMG_1540
Last week the temps hit a glorious almost-50 degrees. It was pleasant enough to draw everyone in the neighborhood out of their houses to feel the warm sun on their face and shout things like, What a beautiful day! I wish it would last! Are you surviving the winter? across their yards and over their fences. And for the first time ever, I willingly let Ralph skip a nap just so we could walk to the park and jump in some puddles. We stayed long enough for him to get thoroughly soaked, and when his teeth started to chatter, I hauled him home through the slush while he screamed in protest the whole way. And then he had a nice warm bath while the sunlight poured through the window.

IMG_1544
IMG_1550
IMG_1567
When Ryan and I went out for Valentine's Day last week, Ralph went to my sister's house to play with his older cousins, and he returned home with a new love for tools. He carries around his little tool box all day long, hammering on furniture and pretending to plug little nails into holes. He especially likes to press his screw driver into various screws around the house and make a loud errrrrrrrr sound. It's so fun to see his imagination start to take shape. Ryan and I are constantly looking at each other asking, Did you teach him that? And then we shrug, because nope, neither of us did. At least, not on purpose. He is a tiny sponge right now, and I love it.

IMG_1579
Ryan turned 26 last Thursday. We didn't do a whole lot to celebrate, because I think I married the most easy-to-please man on the planet. All he asked for was a cheesecake, and I was happy to oblige. (I made this one, and it was definitely the easiest and tastiest I've ever made. Try it!) I also got him what turned out to be the manliest assortment of gifts ever-- a new baseball cap, a pack of beer, a beer brewing book, and a chainsaw. If I had all the money in the world I'd have him retire and then make him spend his days building things and brewing beer and maybe going fishing every once in a while. I'm pretty sure that's all he ever wants anyway, besides some slices of fresh bread with butter for supper every night. Ryan is just a good, goofy, happy dude and I sure do love having him around.

Also, here's the post I wrote on Ryan's birthday last year, just because it's a fun one.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it, but even pictures of a broom look beautiful on your blog. I love the part where you look at each other and day 'did you teach him that?' That is just starting to happen over here and it is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks Cassie. I almost didn't use that picture because, well, it's a broom. I feel better about it now! And I know, seeing your kid figure things out is one of the coolest parts of parenting.

      Delete
  2. Your home looks so clean and fresh! I love those beautiful lace doilies you have on your table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love them too, they were my Grandma's. :)

      Delete
  3. Jake and I ask that all the time! It is amazing and crazy to see what they all learn just by picking things up by watching and listening. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I'm a new reader, and your blog has quickly become one of my absolute favorites! Thank you for sharing that yummy looking cheesecake recipe! I love the topping that you've added - would you mind sharing how you did that? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete