6/11/15

Keeping clean

1 (1 of 1)
I've had high hopes in writing a post about Spring cleaning for weeks now. And while, technically, we're still in the season of Spring...I'd say that things are starting to lean more towards summertime. People are ditching their brooms and cobweb dusters and reaching for their beach blankets by now. A post about cleaning for Spring doesn't seem all that timely anymore.

That said, I've been getting a lot of comments and questions lately about how I keep my house looking so clean. My first response is always to chuckle and shrug, because hello-- I have a two year old ragamuffin who enjoys eating crumbly crackers anywhere but at the table. And I have a husband who spills coffee and scatters his dirty socks. And I'm not much better myself, when I consider the long brown hairs found all over the bathroom, and my tendency to let the laundry pile up (and up and up.) Our cupboard doors get grimy, our dressers get dusty, and our bathtub gets gross, just like yours.

Yet, thanks to the rearing of my tidy mother, I do run a pretty tight ship around the house. Perhaps more than others. Cleaning is a big part of my daily routine, and I really, truly love to do it. Some people run marathons, some people cook gourmet meals, and I-- I delight in a spotless kitchen and the challenge of folding a fitted sheet. What I'm trying to say is, if I were to write a book on any subject, housekeeping would probably be the one. I mean, I'm no Martha Stewart, but I know what I'm doing. I suppose I could drum up a few tips to share with you here. And thus, Keeping Clean, a new blog series, has been born.

Now, before I begin, let me say that I realize there are lots of blog posts and articles and books about cleaning. And I am well aware that everyone likes to clean their house differently. These will not be another set of posts on how to use vinegar and essential oils for everything (though I do use them both and think they work wonders.) ((But I also use bleach in the bathroom.)) Nor will these be strict guidelines on the perfect home-keeping schedule that will keep your cleaning to a minimum and your house looking spotless on the daily (and your conscience guilty if you don't manage to accomplish specific tasks each day.) They'll be more of a hodgepodge of prompts-- a bundle of things I've learned along the way that make cleaning my house easier and more enjoyable. I hope they are of some use to you.

Part one is scheduled to come at you tomorrow. See you then!

21 comments:

  1. I am excited about this new series!! I was wondering myself the same, how you keep your house so clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear you're excited! I am too.

      Delete
  2. Oh I can't wait. This is coming at a wonderful time for me, where I've sort of stopped feeling like my rebellious early 20's attitudes towards are serving me. Can't wait to read and learn and implement some new rhythms around here. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope I can help, Eliza. Thanks for always being so sweet. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes! Sounds similar to me and my home. I really enjoy your blog:)

    x Shay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to hearing your prompts. Cleaning is *not* a big part of my daily routine, but my family and I really enjoy a tidy home and function better in a neat home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the goal-- to help function better in and enjoy your home. I'm the same way. Nothing helps me relax more than having things tidy and put in their place.

      Delete
  5. I am so looking forward to this new series. Your blog and instagram are a wonderful source of inspiration, calm, and relaxation for me. Thank you Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annette! That's so nice of you to say-- made me happy!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this post, Amelia. I must say that you have a clever approach here; sharing insights along the way, instead of just a plain 'How to' guide, or something. Cleaning is a case to case basis, after all. Cheers!

    Bo Tolbert @ HJS Supply

    ReplyDelete
  7. keeping our house clean is our top priority and i also use vacuum cleaner to make my work easy

    ReplyDelete
  8. كافة خدمات شركات التنظيف بالخرج تقدمها شركة ركن نجد باسعار مميزة حيث نقدم نفس خدمات التنظيف المقدمة بالرياض بمدينة الخرج بنفس الجودة وبنفس اطقم العمل المدربة جيدا حيث تسير شركة تنظيف بالخرج ركن نجد سياراتها يوميا من الرياض الى الخرج لتنفيذ خدمات التنظيف هناك حيث نقدم خدمات ( تنظيف منازل – شقق -خزانات – فلل -مجالس – كنب ) وكافة خدمات التنظيف الداخلي والخارجي للمنازل والشركات بالخرج فقط تواصلوا معنا علي هاتف الشركة نحن شركة تنظيف بالرياض رخيصة

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive ideas and the details of your post which is amazing. Thanks a lot. Buy Wardrobe Online | Buy Celebrations Online

    ReplyDelete
  10. When it comes to cleaning house there's definitely no "right way" or "wrong way" to do it...as long as you arrive at the desired result: an impeccably clean house! Seeing as how I clean houses for a living, you guess I could say I'm somewhat of an expert on the subject. My clients have included everyone from horrible hoarders to tidy housewives who just needed a little sprucing up. One thing's for sure: when it comes to house cleaning, the name of the game is speed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would say this blog is very useful for everyone. Please visit https://goo.gl/OHquhK

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cleaning is important for healthy life. Wonderful blog, I will suggest you Mop for cleaning tiles at home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really going to need to read this series. I'm still putting off my spring cleaning (I guess after a certain point, though, I wouldn't call it “spring cleaning” anymore). I wish it came as naturally to me as it does to you. I really hope your insights can make me a better homemaker.

    ReplyDelete