This is my Dad. His name is Dave! This picture was taken in the 70's.
A list of some of my favorite things about my dear old dad:
- He makes his own sauerkraut. And it's good. That's a big deal for a German descendant like me.
- All of his favorite shirts are soft and worn and full of holes.
- He calls me names that only dads can pull off, like Monster and Angel Face.
Dad! The day before his wedding.
-He praises my mom for being the best cook in the world. And she is. But he makes the best chili.
-Despite having four daughters, he is a sports-loving, burping, macho DUDE.
- He's had a mustache all my life, and most of his own.
Dad on his wedding day.
- Before I'd go out with friends in high school he'd say, "Remember who you are, Amelia," and I'd have to answer with, "A redeemed child of God."
- He knows funny little things, like old German words and Japanese children's songs and corny dad jokes.
-When I lost my baby he came to my hospital bed, hugged me, and said, "I just wanted to hold you." I'll never forget how he said it, like his heart was broken, too.
My Dad on my wedding day.
-He sings a sweet tenor that makes me cry when I hear it in church.
-He grows a huge, bounteous garden every summer.
- He's humble and hardworking and kind and hilarious and God-fearing and sweet and wonderful.
Dad! Are you reading this? You're the best!
I love you with all my heart,
and then some.
And then some more.