6/3/13

postpartum style and postpartum stuff

I love this boy.
Madeline from Uber Chic for Cheap is doing an awesome series on her blog about Postpartum Style. Not too long ago, she asked me if I'd like to contribute and write a guest post about my postpartum experience. As soon as I opened the email from her I did a fist pump--it was so exciting. I have loads to say about how I felt after having a baby. I've actually been wanting to write about it here for a while, but I was never quite sure how to go about doing it. Writing for Madeline's series was a good way for me to sit down and think about what I wanted to say.

My hormones and I went through the ringer after I had Ralph. I've always thought of myself as a pretty level person, and besides my tendency to cry (I blame it on growing up with 4 other women in the house) I've always been in control of my emotions. I've always been aware of how I'm feeling, and why I'm feeling that way, you know? The first few weeks after giving birth were tough, and I expected all that. So when I felt anxious or moody or upset, it didn't concern me-- I was sure it was all due to lack of sleep. But those feelings continued for months, and I was becoming exhausted with myself. I was overwhelmed by everything. My new little life with Ralphie was so happy, and most days were good, but there was always something lurking, telling me that things were just a bit off. I don't think I was ever depressed, and I didn't have crazy emotional feelings all the time, but I certainly was going through something I had never dealt with before.

The transition between woman and mother is such a big one. My world was turned upside down when I had Ralph. I was learning how to live in an entirely different life, whether I liked it or not. I remember thinking so many times that I just wanted to feel myself again, which is a frustrating feeling when you no longer know who you are anymore. 

The good news is that I'm starting to figure it out again. Things have leveled off, thankfully, and I'm having more and more fun every day getting to know who I am as a mother. I like my life again, and not just the sweet, cute, chubby baby parts of it-- I like the housework and the chores and the errands. I like the quiet nights with Ryan, and the laughing in the kitchen when we make supper together, and the walks in the backyard. I like the days when I have a moment to paint my nails, or work on something I'm proud of, or make a craft, or read a magazine. I wake up in the morning feeling ready to start the day, instead of feeling overwhelmed-- and I like that feeling most of all.

You can read my postpartum style post on Madeline's wonderful blog HERE. If you happen to be an expecting mama, or a new mama, or a seasoned mama struggling through the same things I did, I hope some of my silly style tips help you. And a big fat THANK YOU to sweet Madeline, for asking me to write it, and for posting it-- I wasn't so sure she would after I sent it to her. It's a looooong post, practically a novel. I couldn't stop writing. It felt good. 

9 comments:

  1. Great post, Amelia! Here and on Uber Chic for Cheap! Glad you are feeling like yourself again. It's almost hard to imagine your life before kids now, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Ha! I'm pretty sure all I did before Ralph was sit and read.

      Delete
  2. I loved your fashion post and it's refreshing to hear you be so candid about how everything doesn't always go perfect when you have a baby. I have totally been there and it is really great when you can start feeling like yourself again. It's easy to lose your identify in motherhood, or at least feel like you have. Glad things are looking up, and like always Ralph is such a stud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! It's nice to hear that other moms can relate. For a while I felt like I was the only mom that ever felt this way! Xoxo.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy what you said about how you like your life again. I can relate - those first few weeks/months are so overwhelming and I found myself looking back often and mourning my past life. It's funny how you acclimate though - 15 months postpartum now and I love my life - the crazy/messiness of it all.
    Off to read your guest post. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Now I wouldn't change it for the world! And it's not like I hated my life when I was going through it-- it wasn't until after I felt better that I was able look back and realize how lost I was.Such a confusing time! Thanks for always being so sweet, Jaclyn. :)

      Delete
  4. i remember those feelings of wanting to feel like me but having no clue who i was. but i think you just have to take some time, as you said it is a huge change :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Time helps everything. Thank goodness!

      Delete
  5. I loved your postpartum post, it was such a good one. The first few paragraphs felt like I could have written them.

    Postpartum is a really weird time and I wish women talked about it more. Thanks again for sharing your post with me and my readers. It was fabulous.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete