2/28/12

let's talk about banana bread.



National Banana Bread Day occurred sometime last week while I was sick and stuffy and out of milk, so I made up for it yesterday by baking my little brains out. I always use my Grandma's recipe-- it's the best banana bread I've ever, ever had. When I was younger, my grandparents lived in a little cabin on a lake and my Grandma would serve it every morning when my family came to visit in the summer. She'd wake up so early, before everyone else, and take a loaf out of the freezer. By the time the rest of us finally woke, the bread would be just barely thawed and ice cold. Oh. I'm convinced it's better cold. It tastes best with a thick coat of butter and a glass of orange juice. Dining whilst dangling your feet into a sun-sparkling lake is optional, but encouraged. As is the bowl of Cocoa Puffs on the side. Optional. But encouraged.

I'm not a batter eater, because hello guys, E. coli and Salmonella, didn't your mom ever tell you? But the combination of the buttermilk and the bananas makes this batter smell so divine. I would consider eating it.

Also, the recipe I use makes four loaves and was written out by my sister, who has enough pans and room in her freezer for four loaves. I don't always remember this, and usually end up with more batter than I know what to do with. I try to remind myself to cut the recipe in half, so that I have one warm and freshly baked loaf for Ryan, and one for the freezer (for that blessed cold loaf.)

Grandma Evie's Banana Bread::

ingredients::
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs and beat well. Slowly, mix in remaining ingredients. Divide batter into 2 greased bread pans. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


10 comments:

  1. this looks SO yummy! thanks for sharing.

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear sister, you have my mouth watering for some of grandma's banana bread. I have to agree she makes THE BEST banana bread ever. Nobody elses can compare. Now all you need is a plate of her delcious molasses and chocolate chip cookies and you'll be set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been needing a good banana bread recipe and I believe anything with buttermilk is bound to be good. I shall let you know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love cold/frozen baked goods! and i love my banana bread with peanut butter and/or honey. i've also made banana bread french toast and it was craaaazy good. :)

    this looks like a great recipe, i'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good and my husband loves banan bread so this could get me into his good books and not let him notice my new sandals :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i made this last night! delicious! kudos to your grammy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could so go for some of that bread right now on this rainy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I found your blog through Janine's post of you today. Loved the story of how you met your hubby- it's crazy how some people can fall in love so young or so early on and it be completely right. A very cute love story!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Note that these times only refer to how long your frozen food will still be of excellent quality .
    cryogenic freezer

    ReplyDelete