1/18/12

raisin bran muffins


Ever find yourself buying a box of Raisin Bran, thinking you'll love it and feel healthy while eating it, only to discover that you don't actually like it that much and that it's not even that good for you?

Me either.

Just kidding, that was totally me. I bought the Raisin Bran. And the next morning, while eating (but not really enjoying) the Raisin Bran, I watched someone on one of those morning shows say that it's just as sugary as all those other non-healthy cereals. And I thought, well shoot, now what am I going to do with all this dry cereal?

I made muffins! Martha Stewart's Raisin Bran Muffins, specifically. I'd been meaning to make something yummy for Ryan's breakfasts--something healthier than fried eggs and buttered toast, less expensive than smoothies, and more exciting than frosted mini wheats, and thought blueberry muffins were just the thing. Then I realized I didn't have any frozen blueberries, and that this recipe would use up a good chunk of the neglected Raisin Bran in my cupboard. It was an easy decision.

And, dudes, it was a good decision. These muffins are not at all dry (I was anticipating dry. Because of the bran, obviously.) and they made the apartment smell fantastically cozy and cinnamon-y. Try them. You'll like them.

ps: The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of white flour and 1/2 cup of wheat, but I used 1 cup white and they turned out fine.
pps: It made 8 muffins, not 6. Which is great if you have a husband like mine, who eats things in multiples.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, delish! And I too have a husband who eats things in multiples. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I'm going to give these a try

    ReplyDelete